Thursday, May 26, 2011

Passion: Purpose?


I’ve always considered myself a very passionate person. When I care about something, when something truly means something to me, everything in me explodes with the desire to make that known. My mind takes a backseat to my heart and nothing can stop me. I can get lost in whatever I’m saying or doing to the point that nothing (and I mean, nothing) else really matters.  On a good day, these moments happen often…and they are most certainly good moments. I “awaken” from them inspired, rejuvenated. I feel like I have just had the greatest opportunity in the world – the opportunity to be me. When these moments aren’t occurring, however, I am plagued by my passion.  My mind can think of nothing else and I’m almost sick with sadness, unable to truly control my emotions enough to function the way I need to. Depression tries to take hold and everything in me feels incomplete and most times unworthy. What does that mean? How do you begin to deal with that? I began thinking about all of this as I read this quote:

“Passion, it lies in all of us, sleeping... waiting... and though unwanted... unbidden... it will stir... open its jaws and howl. It speaks to us... guides us... passion rules us all, and we obey. What other choice do we have? Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love... the clarity of hatred... and the ecstasy of grief. It hurts sometimes more than we can bear. If we could live without passion maybe we'd know some kind of peace... but we would be hollow... Empty rooms shuttered and dank. Without passion we'd be truly dead.” – Joss Whedon


I believe passion is the heart telling the mind where to go, what to start, what this life is supposed to be. Those moments when it seems uncontrollable are the very moments it calls out to us, reminding us of who we are and what we’re supposed to be doing. It’s true, passion can be troubling, but maybe we find at least some peace in striving to live everyday in those passionate moments, becoming who our hearts say we are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment